Saturday, November 11, 2006

This REALLY sucks

So we definitely need a new motherboard which, I'm told, is a pretty costly repair. Since I know squat about computers (just one of many areas of which I know squat), I'm trusting my husband to coordinate with those that actually know how to go about fixing this problem as painlessly as possible. Evidently, the best solution isn't just to purchase a new motherboard, but to buy a new computer shell and transfer all of the bells and whistles from our existing PC to the new PC. While I'm skeptical that this is truly the best and most cost-effective solution, I'm standing on the sidelines (which is alot harder than you think) and hoping that there will be a working computer on my desk within the next seven days. While Eric has been kind enough to make his laptop available to me (hah, hah, hah...sucker), I miss having a big, klunky, space-consuming desktop PC to myself. I guess I'm just old-fashioned that way. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some socks that need darning and fields that need plowing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Toast said...

Hi, random NaBloMo reader and part-time computer tech guy here. Replacing the motherboard isn't all that difficult, but depending on how old your machine is you might need to upgrade the CPU and memory as well. You're probably looking at around $150 or so for the parts plus whatever they charge you to install it. A brand-new machine will run you about $350-ish for a decent but unspectacular Dell Dimension desktop, to a grand or more if you want a lot of bells and whistles. I'd do the motherboard, personally ... but then again, I'm a geek. :-)

Good luck!

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home